• Bible Films Blog

    Looking at film interpretations of the stories in the Bible - past, present and future, as well as preparation for a future work on Straub/Huillet's Moses und Aron and a few bits and pieces on biblical studies.


    Name:
    Matt Page

    Location:
    U.K.












    Friday, July 06, 2007

    Chattaway on Noah Films

    I've been meaning to post this all week, but I've been a bit pushed for time, and now most people have probably seen this already. Nevertheless, for those of you who haven't yet had the pleasure, then BC Christian News has published a brief article by Peter Chattaway on film portrayals of Noah. It's part of BCN's look at Evan Almighty.

    Peter discusses the following films:
    Noah's Ark (1928)
    Father Noah's Ark (1933)
    Green Pastures (1936)
    Noah's Ark (1959)
    The Bible: In the Beginning (1966)
    In Search of Noah's Ark (1976)
    Genesis: Creation and the Flood (1994)
    Noah's Ark (1999)
    Fantasia 2000 (1999)
    I've seen all of these except In Search of Noah's Ark (1976), which, to be honest doesn't tempt me much. I'll be writing about the ones I've not yet covered on this site (i.e. those not linked to above) soon, although I have reflected on the penultimate two films (plus one or two others) in my article on Genesis films.

    There are two films that Peter didn't discuss. One is from the Testament: The Bible in Animation series. It's the only one of that series I've yet to see, but as I recently bought a copy on DVD I'll be blogging it shortly. The other is from the 1970s Greatest Heroes of the Bible series called The Story of Noah. That's one I've not seen, although judging by the others in the series it's unlikely to be either well produced or particularly insightful.

    Peter's also had his article on Evan Almighty director Tom Shadyac published in the same issue of BCN.

    Labels: , ,

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home