• Bible Films Blog

    Looking at film interpretations of the stories in the Bible - past, present and future, as well as preparation for a future work on Straub/Huillet's Moses und Aron and a few bits and pieces on biblical studies.


    Name:
    Matt Page

    Location:
    U.K.












    Saturday, February 19, 2011

    The Gathering

    A week or two back I went to see The Fighter. Our cinema quite often shows a short film before the main performance these days, although I often wonder why as the aspect ratio is often way out, as the projector is set for the main feature, and quite often, as was the case on this occasion, the audience just talked all over it. I did catch enough of it however to work out that it was some kind of modern take on Jesus coming. So after the film I had a word with the projectionist who very kindly dug out the name of the film and rang me later the same evening to let me know.

    It turns out the film was The Gathering by director James Cooper. Jesus is portrayed as a postman who advertises a public gathering. I won't say anymore, but point you instead to the film itself which you can watch for free on Vimeo.

    I must admit I'm quite taken by this little film, not least because it's kept me thinking about it for the last fortnight. It's also nicely shot, well acted, subtly made and gently humorous.

    3 Comments:

    • At 8:03 pm, February 22, 2011, Blogger Kevin C. Neece said…

      Great bit of digging, sir! I will be viewing the film asap and looking onto adding it to my library. Thanks for putting in the effort!

       
    • At 2:00 pm, February 27, 2011, Blogger Kevin C. Neece said…

      Ha! That was pretty great. If I'd realized it was that short, I'd have watched it when I first read your post. I think it says something about power found in unlikely places, humanity and divinity and surprises from God. Brilliant stuff. Thanks again for the link.

      http://www.kevincneece.com

       
    • At 5:41 pm, March 01, 2011, Blogger Matt Page said…

      Thanks Kevin

       

    Post a Comment

    << Home